当前位置:首页 > 英语听力 > 入门听力 > 正文

美语情景对话 第171期:对祖父的记忆 Memories of Grandfather

最新订阅内容:英语爱好者摘要:《美语情景对话》精心挑选各种场合对话,配以可可精心打造的同声字幕,让您在开阔眼界的同时也能够提高您的英语水平
28.7K

One of my earliest memories involves my granddad and his garden.  我最早的记忆是有关祖父和他的花园的。
He had a huge garden when I was growing up.  在我小时候,他有一个巨大的花园。
It was, I mean, it was more of a field than a garden really it was so big.  我的意思是,比起花园,它更像是一块田地,它真的很大。
He had lots of fruit trees, like fruit bushes, like elder berries, black berries, raspberries.  他种了许多果树,像果木灌木,接骨木,黑浆果,覆盆子。
He had strawberries as well, gooseberries, so every berry you could think of.  他还种了草莓和醋栗,他种了你能想到的所有浆果类。
He also had, let me see, apple trees and cooking apple trees,  让我想想,他还有苹果树和酸苹果树,
and he had lots of vegetables too as well like rhubarb, onions and lettuce,  当然他还种了好多蔬菜,比如大黄、洋葱和莴苣,
anything you could think of.  任何你能想到的蔬菜。
When I was a little girl I didn't really like vegetables all that much to be honest,  我还是个小女孩的时候,说实话我非常不喜欢蔬菜,
but I did love helping him pick his strawberries when they came in the summer.  到夏天的时候,我非常喜欢帮爷爷一起摘草莓。
Strawberries always taste better when they are warm and from the sun,  草莓在太阳晒过并带点温度的时候,总是格外好吃,
and you can pick them and put them straight in your mouth, beautiful.  你可以摘下来之后直接放进嘴里,很美好。
One of my funniest memories, though, well when I look back on it now, it's funny,  我记忆中最有意思的一件事,即使我现在想起来也很有趣,
is of helping my granddad when he was planting his onions one year,  有一年我帮爷爷种洋葱,
so I was staying with him for awhile  我和他待了一段时间,
and he said, "OK Marion today we're going to go and we're going to plant some onions," in the spring.  他说,“好了,玛丽恩,我们要走了,今天我们要开始种洋葱了。”那是春天。
So I went out and I was only I think about 5 years old,  所以我出去了,我想我当时只有5岁吧,
but I wanted to help so both of us went out and we planted two rows of onions,  但是我想帮忙,所以我们俩去种了两排洋葱,
so he planted one row and I planted the other,  他种了一排,而我则种了剩下的一排,
or he really planted most of them I think.  或者我想是他种了大部分吧。
But I tried to help anyway, even though I was quite small,  但是不管怎样,我试图帮他忙,即使我当时年纪很小,
so then we did our job that day and I didn't really think anymore of it,  当时我们只是做我们的事情,我没有想太多,
until the onions started to grow and then suddenly they were ready to be harvested, or whatever,  后来洋葱开始生长,很快就到了收获季节,
to be picked from the ground, and you could see that the stalks were growing nice and tall.  把洋葱从地里取出来,你就会看见它的茎长得又高又好。
We were out in the garden one day, my granddad and I again  有一天,我爷爷和我又一次去了花园,
so it must have been a good few months later, further towards autumn,  那应该是好几个月以后的事情了,可能是快到秋天的时候,
and my granddad came over and showed me the onion stalks  我爷爷过来给我看洋葱的茎,
and he said, "Look Marion! The ones you planted are way bigger than the ones that I planted."  他说:“看,玛丽恩!你种的那些洋葱比我种的要好。”
And I was so happy with myself.  我当时非常高兴。
So happy that the job that I had done was better than even my granddad, who was a great gardener  我太高兴了,我比爷爷做的好,我爷爷可是一个伟大的园丁啊,
and now when I look back I realize, you know that wasn't really the case.  现在当我回想的时候我意识到,你知道那其实根本不算什么。
That he was just saying it to make me feel better,  他那么说只是让我感到愉悦,
and to make me proud of the work I'd done with him,  让我为我和他一起做的事情感到自豪,
but at the time it really worked.  但是当时那么说真的很有用。
I was really, really so proud to have helped my granddad, the gardener,  我真的真的对帮助爷爷这个园丁感到非常自豪,
and to have done a better job than he did.  也对比他做的更好这件事感到自豪。
I still wouldn't eat the onions though. 虽然我还是不吃洋葱。
 

英语爱好者|关于我们|联系我们|网站地图|在线问答|版权声明|帮助中心
英语爱好者 版权所有 © 2005-2014 闽ICP备14002683号-3